James Gandolfini at the Emmys
Carol
2004-09-20 22:19:08 UTC
I was wondering what JG wanted to say, and here it is:

Gandolfini Meant to Salute Troops at Emmys
By Daniel Fienberg

"Sopranos" star and multiple Emmy winner James Gandolfini is a quiet
and media-shy giant of a man, so when he has something to say, people
are usually eager to listen. That wasn't the case on Sunday (Sept. 19)
night when Gandolfini took the microphone at the 56th Annual Primetime
Emmy Awards.

In the aftermath of the first outstanding drama series win for "The
Sopranos," Gandolfini stepped forward to make a statement at the end
of the acceptance speeches, but appeared to be cut off, as the show
switched to host Garry Shandling wrapping things up. Viewers saw
Gandolfini's lips moving, but heard Shandling's closing remarks,
before finally being able to see the comic.

"By that time, Garry was scheduled to say goodnight, so the audio
opened on Garry's mike," explained the show's director Louis J.
Horvitz backstage. "I was on Gandolfini's shot hearing Garry's voice,
so I thought it was a good idea to cut to Garry."

In addition to helming ABC's Emmy telecast, Horvitz received an Emmy
himself for directing the most recent Oscar show. Moments like the
Gandolfini cut-off and several missed cues, including an aimless pan
over the audience as Shandling paid tribute to several Olympic
medallists in the crowd, may prevent the director from getting Emmy
recognition for these Emmys.

It was up to Gandolfini's "Sopranos" colleagues to fill in the gaps
backstage. It had come to Gandolfini's attention that a infantry group
in the 1st Platoon Alpha Company in Iraq had named their tank
"Stugots" in honor of Tony Soprano's boat on the HBO mob smash. The
producers were sent a picture of the soldiers standing in front of
their tank and Gandolfini wanted to take a minute to salute the young
men.

"They got in a little trouble for spraying 'Stugots' [on the tank],
but there's other trouble there," said "Sopranos" producer and writer
Mitchell Burgess. "And we wish them to get home speedy and safe and
everything. That's what James was going to say."
Susan
2004-09-21 03:06:18 UTC
It's too bad they cut him off like that.
Phebes </font> <font color="#0000FF">
How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are?
-- Satchel Paige

kdo711
2004-09-21 10:43:43 UTC
I thought the whole Emmy production playing music everytime someone got on
stage (except for Al Pacino) was RUDE and poorly done. I know it is difficult
but they have to come up with a better way.
Monique
hello
2004-09-21 11:22:09 UTC
Post by kdo711
I thought the whole Emmy production playing music everytime someone got on
stage (except for Al Pacino) was RUDE and poorly done.
Was the music performed by Flatulina, by any chance?

http://www.flatulina.com/
Carol
2004-09-21 14:02:32 UTC
here's a better way:

Cut Shandling's yawn inducing monologues to 1/3 of that time and let the
winners have their say when they get to the stage.

Carol
Aplejack
2004-09-22 02:27:38 UTC
Post by kdo711
I know it is difficult
but they have to come up with a better way.
If I were an Emmy winner, I would tell people to check my website for my thank
you list and then just use the time to make whatever statement I felt like
making. (Not meaning a political statement, but something associated with the
project I won for. Like winning for Angels in America and telling people that
although we have made progress, there is still much to be done in the war
against AIDS.)

I loved Elaine Stritch. I almost expected them to carry her off. What a
feisty lady!
AJ
Maria T3
2004-09-22 02:32:56 UTC
Post by kdo711
I know it is difficult
but they have to come up with a better way.
No, they have about 45 seconds...that's enough time to say "Thank-you" and a
pleasant something else. Keep your list and send them all bonuses for a job
well done.

~ Maria ~
"Sometimes, only one person is missing, and the whole world seems depopulated.
"
Alphonse de Lamartine
Dan
2004-09-22 02:44:46 UTC
. Keep your list and send them all bonuses for a job well done.
"I am the big Emmy winning movie star and you writers, producers, directors,
crew, friends, family and all the rest of you little people are my employees.
Here's a gift certificate for a free ham to show my appreciation." LOL
kdo711
2004-09-22 02:51:29 UTC
Post by Dan
I am the big Emmy winning movie star and you writers, producers, directors,
crew, friends, family and all the rest of you little people are my employees.
And none of them go starving either <G>. In fact I think that the production
companies employ the stars -- think of the bucks they make if they are willing
to pay millions to the celebs.
Monique